Steps to Apply
Follow these steps to apply to the Crowden School for grades four through eight.
1. Join us for an information session
Learn more about our academic and music programs, see some teaching materials and curriculum, and hear presentations from members of our faculty.
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 6:30pm-8pm
- OPEN HOUSE! Friday, November 10, 2017, 8am-3:30pm
- Thursday, November 16, 2017, 6:30pm-8pm
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 6:30pm-8pm
2. Tour the school
Come visit Crowden! Morning tours are scheduled by appointment each week and are a great way to see the Crowden School in action. In general, the tours last about 90 minutes and can start at 8:15am or 9:15am depending on what courses you prefer to see. Prospective students encouraged to attend with their parents/guardians.
3. Submit your online application
- Complete our online application and submit with a non-refundable application fee* and a recent photograph. You may also submit this printable application form to Crowden, with the fee and photo.
- Early-Bird Deadline:
Friday, December 15, 2017 (reduced fee: $50)
- Regular Deadline:
Thursday, February 1, 2018 (regular fee: $75)
Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Send the Transcript Release Form to your child's current school to release progress reports and testing results from the last two years. You may also include your own copies with the application.
- Fill out the top portion of the Teacher Recommendation Form and ask your child's current classroom teacher, counselor, or principal to complete and return directly to Crowden.
4. Schedule a day visit
A day visit gives your child the opportunity to experience an entire school day at Crowden. Applicants are buddied with a current student in the appropriate grade and applicants participate in all classes. Day visits are scheduled once a completed application form has been received.
5. Take the music audition and entrance examination
- February 7, 2018 | 9:15am–12:00pm
Lower School Auditions (for applicants to grades 4 and 5)
- February 21, 2018 | 9:15am–12:00pm
Upper School Auditions (for applicants to grades 6, 7, and 8)
Music Audition: This involves playing a short piece of the applicant's choice that best shows his or her current level for our Director of Music and other members of the music faculty. An ear training test may also be given.
Entrance Examination: The written exam consists of sections on English, math, and music theory. No portion of the test is timed, but completing all parts usually takes between two and three hours. The music theory portion is given to assess each student's current level and admission to the school is not based on proficiency. Pencils and scratch paper will be provided.