Steps to Apply
We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis for the 2019-20 school year. Please follow these steps to apply.
- Submit an application: Please submit your application along with the non-refundable application fee.
- Schedule a day visit: Crowden will contact you to schedule a day visit for your child, once your completed application form has been received.
- Send transcripts: Submit the Transcript Release Form to your child’s current school to release progress reports from the past two years. You may also include your own copies of progress reports with the application.
- Send Teacher Recommendation Form: Fill out the top portion and ask your student's current classroom teacher, counselor, or principal to complete and return directly to The Crowden School.
- Take the entrance exam and music audition: Crowden will inform you of spring exam and audition dates, once your completed application form has been received.
Music Audition: We ask applicants to play a short piece (less than two minutes) of their choice that best shows off his or her current musical level. Our Director of Music and other members of the music faculty will listen and may ask a few questions. An ear training test may also be given.
Entrance Examination: The written exam consists of sections on English, math, and music theory. No portion of the test is timed, but completing all parts usually takes between two and three hours. The music theory portion is given to assess each student's current level and admission to the school is not based on proficiency. Pencils and scratch paper will be provided and an exam proctor will be available to answer any questions.
Crowden Music Center is a member of EBISA (East Bay Independent Schools Association) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, national and ethnic origin, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation.