Steps to Apply
Follow these steps to apply to The Crowden School for grades four through eight.
1. Join us for an Admissions Information Session
Learn more about our academic and music programs, see some teaching materials and curriculum, and hear presentations from members of our faculty (no need to RSVP).
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017 | 6:30pm-8pm
- OPEN HOUSE! Friday, November 10, 2017 | 8am-3:30pm
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 | 6:30pm-8pm
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 | 6:30pm-8pm
2. Take a tour of Crowden!
Come visit Crowden! Morning tours are scheduled by appointment each week and are a great way to see The Crowden School in action. In general, the tours last about 90 minutes starting at 9:15am. Prospective students are encouraged to attend with their parents/guardians.
3. Submit your online application
Early-Bird Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2017 (reduced fee: $50)
Regular Deadline: Thursday, February 1, 2018 (regular fee: $75)
Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Send the Transcript Release Form to your student's current school to release progress reports from the past two years. You may also include your own copies of progress reports with the application.
- Fill out the top portion of the Teacher Recommendation Form and ask your student's current classroom teacher, counselor, or principal to complete and return directly to The Crowden School.
4. Schedule a day visit
A day visit gives your student the opportunity to experience an entire school day at Crowden! Applicants are paired with a current student in the appropriate grade and applicants participate in all classes. Day visits are scheduled once a completed application form has been received.
5. Entrance examination and music audition
- February 7, 2018 | 9:15am–12:00pm
Upper School Auditions (for applicants to grades 6, 7, and 8)
- February 21, 2018 | 9:15am–12:00pm
Lower School Auditions (for applicants to grades 4 and 5)
Music Audition: We ask applicants to play a short piece (less than two minutes) of their choice that best shows off his or her current musical level. Our Director of Music and other members of the music faculty will listen and may ask a few questions. An ear training test may also be given.
Entrance Examination: The written exam consists of sections on English, math, and music theory. No portion of the test is timed, but completing all parts usually takes between two and three hours. The music theory portion is given to assess each student's current level and admission to the school is not based on proficiency. Pencils and scratch paper will be provided and an exam proctor will be available to answer any questions.
Decisions are communicated March 16, 2018.
The Crowden School commits to EBISA guidelines and will not host public events during the week of March 19; however we encourage parents/guardians to reach out to the Admissions Manager or anyone within our community if you have questions as you make a decision.
The Crowden Music Center is a member of EBISA (East Bay Independent Schools Association) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, national and ethnic origin, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation.