Our 40th anniversary showcases alumni, faculty, and friends from across the decades in a year-long celebration. Filled with sublime performances, original commissions, and a new chamber music festival, the celebration culminates with a Hertz Hall concert and reunion at Crowden!
May 25, 2024
40th Anniversary Concert
Hertz Hall (101 Cross-Spraul Path, UC Berkeley)
An unforgettable showcase of Crowden alumni, mentors, and friends at Hertz Hall, including Bonnie Hampton, Audrey Vardanega, the Catalyst Quartet, and more. This program features perennial Crowden favorites paired with special moments, including a work composed by our greatest benefactor, composer Gordon Getty, and the world premiere of a 40th anniversary commission by alum Samuel Carl Adams ('00), performed by our Crowden School musicians and two acclaimed Crowden violinists: world-renowned concert artist and violin pedagogue Nora Chastain, a student of our founder Anne Crowden, and Crowden alumnus David McCarroll (’99), Concertmaster of the Pittsburgh Symphony, formerly a member of the famed Vienna Piano Trio.
- Nora Chastain and David McCarroll (’99) performing Samuel Adams premiere with an ensemble of Crowden faculty, alumni, and current students.
- Catalyst Quartet (featuring alumna Karla Donehew Perez) performing a movement of Mendelssohn Octet with Crowden faculty and alumni, including violist Abigail Rojansky (‘03) of the Verona Quartet
- Bonnie Hampton-led cello ensemble
- Friction Quartet performing Carrot Revolution by alum Gabriella Smith
- Alum Audrey Vardanega and violinist Ariana Kim performing Primavera Porteña from The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires by Piazzolla
- Gordon Getty composition TBA
- Crowden faculty and alumni orchestra performing Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Ralph Vaughan Williams (an Anne Crowden favorite)
- Premiere of a John Adams Young Composers Program student composition, performed by The Crowden School Lower School Orchestra
May 26, 2024
40th Anniversary Reunion Brunch
Crowden Music Center (1475 Rose St., Berkeley)
Welcome! Whether you are a Crowden School alum (from the church basement or from Rose Street), an alum of any program, family of an alum, or faculty, staff, Board, or donor of Crowden at any point in the past 40 years, you are invited to attend.
Brunch will be served indoors and outdoors, music will be performed by faculty and alums, welcome addresses will open the day, a pop-up play-in will form for those interested, and time and space will be made for mingling, touring Crowden studios and classrooms, viewing Crowden memorabilia by decade, and snapping photos with old and new friends.
40th Anniversary Concert Honoree
John Adams and Bonnie Hampton
40th Anniversary Honorary Committee
Gabriela Lena Frank
John and Helen Meyer
Frederica von Stade
Michael Tilson Thomas
Shelby & Frederick Gans, Bruce Burnam
Chamber Music Festival with the Alexander String Quartet
Crowden is proud to present our inaugural chamber music festival with longtime friends and mentors the Alexander String Quartet.
February 17, 2024, 7pm
Faculty Concert: Alexander String Quartet
Attend the festival faculty concert featuring the incomparable Alexander String Quartet on Saturday, February 17, 7pm
Program: Tarik O'Regan: Gradual; Leoš Janáček: String Quartet, No. 1, Kreutzer Sonata; Jean Sibelius: String Quartet, Op. 56 in D minor, Voces Intimate
World Premiere 40th Anniversary Commission
Our Anniversary commemorations officially began at this May's Crowden School Spring concert, where our inspiring young musicians and conductor Eugene Sor premiered our first 40th anniversary commission, Capybaraology by alum Gabriella Smith ('05, John Adams Young composers Program). Watch the riveting performance below!
How many celli fit into Hoefer Auditorium? Find out at our informal cello play-in!