Information for Crowden School Parents
Dear Crowden School Parents and Guardians,
- All students will enter the school through the Rose Street entrance
- School starts at 8am on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- Thursdays are late-start days which start at 9am
- 3rd graders will be dismissed at 2pm from the Ada Street gate in the rear of the campus
- All other students will be dismissed at 3:30pm from the Rose Street entrance
- Here's our updated TCS Family Handbook
- And our daily class schedule
- All people must wear face coverings on the Crowden campus indoors and outdoors, except while eating
- Please see our updated COVID-19 Handbook for new COVID safety guidelines
Crowden's COVID-19 Response
Please read our COVID-19 Response Handbook to learn details on the many ways we are responding to the pandemic, including requirements and expectations for Crowden School students and families.
School Mission and Core Values
MISSION: The Crowden School provides students in their foundational stages with excellent musical and academic teaching within a supportive school environment.
- We instill students with self-confidence, adaptability, maturity, critical thinking, and perspective to sustain their continued development and personal fulfilment throughout their lives.
- We value quality musical training and performance in balance with scholarly education as a core educational development of a whole person.
- We foster creative, problem-solving, compassionate young people with integrity and a sense of responsibility, who enrich their communities.
- We develop collaborative classrooms and school community where each staff member, student, and family take responsibility for the collective success and well-being of all.
Important Links to Help Navigate the School Year
» Daily Class Schedule
» 2021-22 Crowden School Calendar
» TCS Family Handbook
» TCS News Archive (The Crowden School's newsletter archive is password protected. For assistance, please contact the Front Desk.)
» School supply lists: Grades 3–5 + Grades 6–8
» Download free SchoolMessenger app
» Guide to Crowden Student Emails
» Tech Tips for Working with PDFs
» Acceptable Internet Use Policy
» Signup.com (Volunteer Sign-Ups)
» Air Quality Policy
Mental Health Support for Kids and Teens
- How to Help Teens Shelter in Place
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): How to Talk to Your Child
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource
- How to Get Work Done While Caring for Kids
- How to Explain Coronavirus COVID-19 to a Child with Anxiety
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19 | CDC
- Common Sense Media for Parents
- "Screenagers" Tech Talk
The after-school program, known simply as “Aftercare,” begins at 3:45pm and ends at 6:00pm. Students not enrolled in Aftercare must leave the school grounds by 3:45pm or parents/guardians will be charged for after-school care. The Aftercare program coordinator and faculty members oversee homework and supervised recreation during the after-school hours. Healthy snacks are provided. Aftercare is available on a limited basis on concert nights. Students will be required to sign up in advance on these evenings. Students are expected to follow appropriate school behavior standards, and may not be permitted to take part in Aftercare if those are not respected.
Aftercare Charges & Sign-Out Procedures
The daily charge for Aftercare is $15.00 for students picked up by 5:00pm; $20.00 if picked up by 6:00pm. Students who leave for and return from a Crowden lesson pay $15.00 regardless of the time they are picked up. All students must be picked up by 6:00pm or parents/guardians will be charged $8.00 per minute for every minute they are late in retrieving their child. Monthly billing statements are sent through our FACTS payment program.
Students will only be discharged to parents/guardians or to an adult whom the parents/guardians have specified in writing. The adult must come to the library personally and sign out the student. This not only helps guarantee the safety of your child (which is always paramount), it helps prevent incorrect billing and further hassles for you. TCS will not release any student unless an approved adult comes in person for pickup. Please do not call and ask that your child wait in the lobby or in front of school.
Head Lice Information
Here are some helpful resources to answer your questions about head lice, how to check for nits and lice, how to treat, and more:
Students found with head lice may return to school after treatment with lice shampoo followed by nit removal.
If you have questions, please contact Vice Principal Heidi Mattson.
Thank you for helping to keep our TCS students healthy and lice-free!
Parking & Safety
TCS parking-lot spaces are reserved for staff and faculty. There is ample parking in the neighborhood. Beware of parking restrictions in front of TCS and the Jefferson School and note the signs designating street-sweeping days.
Please use the green-curbed bay in front of the school when dropping off or picking up students. Adults who park on the opposite side of the street must accompany students across the street using the crosswalks.
Out of consideration for our neighbors, please avoid parking—even temporarily—in such a way as to disturb families in the vicinity. This includes parking in illegal areas, driveways, or in any way that inconveniences or obstructs the neighbors.
Double parking and U-turns in front of the building are illegal and dangerous; do not double park as that impacts school bus safety during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up times.
Please note that Rose Street and surrounding areas are regularly patrolled by Berkeley traffic and parking officials. Families are responsible for resolving any parking fines incurred.
Fifth: Michelle Klucsor
Seventh: Sonya Sanchez
Eighth: Dom Glynn
Parent Volunteer Coordinator: Naomi Marks
Click a file name below to download these required school forms:
A: Copy of ID Verification Record
B: Health Exam
C: Medical History
D: Student Medical and Emergency Info
E: Earthquake Backpack Requirement
F: Student Roster and Directory Information
G: Child Pick Up Authorization
H: Handbook Acknowledgement
I: Musical Instrument Insurance
J: Crowden Concert T-Shirt Order Form
K: Private Teacher Contact Information
L: Chaperone Guide
M: Acceptable Internet Use Agreement